Ghanaian Vegan Shito

I have been working on this recipe for a while and I am so happy it's finally worked. I am crazy about how healthy, delicious and versatile my Ghanaian cuisines are. For the normal shito simply swap the soya grits of this recipe with dry shrimp/fish powder. It's Ghanaian foods made easy in Finland.

Ingredients
500ml of any oil of choice
1 big size onion
2 inch size fresh ginger
5-6 garlic gloves
2 tblspn tomato paste
2 tblspn Maggi vegetable liquid fondue or 1 vegetable cube stock
2 tblspn chili powder
4 tblspn soya grits dried

Method of preparation

Stir in onion mixture
Add half of oil to pan on medium heat.

Peel and blend onion, ginger and garlics into smooth mixture.

Add to hot oil and fry for 2 minutes stirring occasionally.

Next add in tomato paste and stir to combine. Allow to cook for 3 minutes and add Maggi fondue/cube stock.

Then next add in chili powder, stir to combine and add soya grits.

Stir to combine completely and add rest of oil.

Leave to cook for 20 minutes stirring occasionally so not to burn the sauce.

Add tomato paste, fondue and chili powder

Stir to combine completely

Next add soya grits

Next add in rest of oil and cook for 20 minutes stirring every minute or two

Important note. The vegan shito is not meant to be as black as the normal shito. Care should be taken not to overcook it as it will have a bitter taste to it. 
How to store.
Transfer still hot into a glass jar and cover. The heat would sterilize and keep the cover tight after an hour. Once opened store in a fridge for up two months and always make sure the shito is fully covered with oil.
     Enjoy with banku, kenkey, fries, jollof or plain rice and also as an extra spicy sauce for soups and stews.

Comments

  1. This is so great! When i went to Ghana last year i bought fish n shrimp n i have been using it for my shito. This is a great idea to try next time when i do it.
    The ingredients u used for this, how much will you have in the end of the cooking? I feel like the quantity shrinks a lot.
    When i do shito i usually make a lot of it, 1-2kg onions (yepp im an big addict). I sterilize the yars and keep it for long time in the fridge (krhm not that long cos i eat it with everything) ��

    -mammamiomai

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi...I actually had to try this one because I run out of shrimp powder and it's been my shito ever since. Yes it does shrink a bit after all the water is burnt out. This recipe made me a big jar about 450g actually. And yes I can imagine I make shito once or twice almost every month. It's very addictive ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰.

      Delete
  2. Awesome. I added kelp powder for the fishy taste and it also made it darker. Thank so much for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. I am very happy you enjoyed it. I must try the kelp myself, heard a lot about it lately.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts