How I use and store Yams and Cocoyams

Being in the diaspora, Finland to be precise is proving very tough especially with the weather and my African foods.
Personally it took me over a year to discover an oriental African shop in my locality.
You can imagine the excitement as a foodie. But my excitement was short lived as most of the food items seemed to be never available.
Luckily for the shop owner is very nice and calls immediately they receive fresh produce.
When I get them, especially yams, I always prep them and freeze them for longer periods. They are so versatile and can be used in many ways both African and European recipes.
I am crazy about my Ghanaian foods and it's my passion to create easy yet delicious recipes.
Like yams and Cocoyams, I fry, boil, make them into mash, make fritters and so on. While exploring with European recipes, I also try to add some Ghanaian influences like spices and the methods of cooking into it.
Mostly they turn out just great and almost perfect which makes me a happy Foodie.
To store yams and cocoyams, peel, wash and cut them into preferred shapes. Next run them under running water till the water is clear. This helps rid of most of their starch. Them put in cold water in a saucepan and out on heat. Just when it begins to boil, remove from heat, drain and pat dry. Store in a freezer for up to three months.
I am all about Ghanaian foods made easy in Finland .

Comments

Popular Posts