Ofam Ghanaian Plantain Bread/Cake

This traditional Ghanaian bread or cake is a personal favourite of mine. I love how spicy it is yet very versatile. It can be served as main dish, side dish and even dessert.

This one I made was inspired to create something very Ghanaian for my end of school party. I decided on this one with a Finnish twist to it. Making this 'dessert' was something I had always wanted to do and the timing was perfect.

The Finnish twist I incorporated was the famous spice cardamom here in Finland. Adding this to my Ofam cake recipe was to help with the taste buds of my Finnish friends as to something they're familiar with. 

In addition, I served the Ofam cake with some whipped cream, lingon berries jam and some extra fresh lingon berries. It was simply a delicious combination and I felt so proud of my Ghanaian cuisine all over again. 

Not surprisingly, Ofam break/Cake is vegan and gluten free. It is also a low carb/paleo friendly diet meal.

Most Ghanaian foods are so healthy and their versatility is countless. Easy recipe below for you to try this Ghanaian dessert and I hope you enjoy it also. 

Tip. I used a food processor in  making this Ofam cake but traditionally the Ofam bread is grinded in asanka. You can also adapt and make it in blender but then you need to add extra liquid to help blend easily.

All you need

3 over ripen plantain
1 small habanero pepper (optional)
1/2 medium sized onion
1 inch size fresh ginger  (1 tspn ground ginger)
1 tspn ground cloves
1 tspn ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon cardamom spice
1 tablespoon vanilla sugar
2 tspn baked soda
2 cups of gluten free floor
1 tblspn of palm oil
1-3 tablespoon of any oil(I used olive oil).

How to make it.

Pre heat oven to 200°c . Peel plantain, cut into cubes and put into a food processor, blender or asanka. Add in all the spice ingredients and blend together. Note if using the asanka, you must first grind the spice ingredients before adding the plantain to grind together.
In separate bowl, sift together the vanilla sugar, baking soda and floor.
Add to plantain mixture. Don't blend yet. Next add in the palm oil and start blending to mix completely. If the mixture is too thick, add a tablespoon of oil at a time until loose but not runny.
Oil a cake tin or bread loaf tin. Pour cake batter in and bake for 30-40 minutes or until an inserted toothpick or knife comes out clean.
Depending on the depth of the baking tin it might bake fast so keep an eye on it and test with a toothpick insert at the middle of the cake or bread.
Simple and delicious.
Allow cake to cool down completely before removing from baking tin.Slice up and dig in.

Enjoy with lingon berries/fresh strawberries or jam with some added whipped cream. 

Comments

Popular Posts