Easy Ghana Jollof Recipe

You probably have heard of #jollofwars and mysteries* behind the true origin of one of the most famous foods from the West African region, that is, Jollof Rice.

Jollof Rice is a delicious meal of rice cooked in rich tomato stew/sauce. Ghanaians have our version and so does, Nigeria, Senegal and Gambia.

For me, I take pride in #GhanaJollof because, it was the first meal my mother and I cooked together.

The true traditional recipe demands time and craft in making the perfect Jollof Rice. As usual for me and my #FinGhaLifestyle,  I have simplified the recipe to save time yet it so full of flavour.

Below is a "lazy man" recipe as I call it ; because sometimes when my daughter orders it and it must be done promptly.

All you Need 

5-7 tblspn of cooking oil 


1 medium sized onion

2-3 garlic cloves 

2 inch size fresh ginger/1 tspn ginger powder

2 tblspn tomato puree 

3-5 fresh medium sized tomatoes 

1-2 fresh habanero pepper/1 tspn chili powder (optional)

I tspn dried basil 

1/2 tspn powdered nutmeg

1/2 tspn powdered cloves 

1 vegetable stock cube 

Salt to taste

2 cups of basmati rice (I used brown rice for this recipe though)

How to Make it 

Blend all ingredients but rice together until smooth.

(Remember I said *lazy man recipe 😉)

Pour into a sauce with oil over medium heat. 

Boil tomato sauce for 20 minutes stiring occasionally. 

Wash rice and add to sauce.

Cover and Allow to cook unstired for 5-10 minutes. 

Lower the heat after 10 minutes and stir through with a forked spatula/spoon(it helps avoid a mushy rice).

Add a cup of warm water, stir through again but be careful you do not over stir.

With basmati rice it usually take 20-30min to cook and longer minutes up to an hour when using brown rice.

Basic Ghana Jollof Rice done. Enjoy with Vegan Shito. Yum. 


Comments

Popular Posts