Ghana Style Fried Liver In Spicy Sauce

I have a dislike for liver since childhood and it's never been a favourite of mine. Of course, here in Finland, one can not escape liver because it's one of main dish special meals during Christmas. I always avoid liver when it's on the menu but as passionate food lover and chef-to-be, I decided to try and overcome my "fears". To try eating some liver, I  made it with my Ghanaian influence.
This liver was a from a reindeer so it honestly didn't smell repulsive which it encouraged me most.
I spiced it with some ginger, chili and aroma salt; then fried it for some colour (about 2 minutes on medium heat and carefully, not to over cook).
Then I prepared my Ghanaian salsa like pepper sauce, MEKO  with an extra kick of habenero, ginger and herbs.
I fried the sauce in a bit of oil, added some vegetables and allowed it to boil for about 5 minutes with some veggies also. I then tossed my pre-fried livers into the sauce, covered and took off the heat to avoid over cooking the liver. Done. That simple and delicious.
Recipe

All you Need
150g of liver
1tspn aroma salt
1tspn ginger powder
1/2tspn chili powder
Groundnut oil

For meko
Groundnut oil
2 medium size tomatoes
1 small size onion
3 garlic cloves
1-2 habenero peppers
1-2 inch size fresh ginger
1tspn each of dried sage, rosemary and a bayleaf
Salt to taste (Aroma salt)

Added vegetables
Carrots
Cabbage
Leek
Onions

Start by washing and spicing the livers cut into preferred sizes.
Fry the liver in enough oil about 2-3 minutes depending on the sizes.
Blends all ingredients for pepper sauce together and add to oil over medium heat. Let it cook for about 5 minutes and add in preferred chopped vegetables (be sure to choose that are equally delicious when eaten raw). Cover and let it boil for another 5 minutes just to get the vegetables slightly cooked. This gives a bite to them when eating for some great textures. Add in fried liver and remove from heat.
Stir to incorporate liver with sauce. Check for salt. Done. Enjoy with some banku/rice or on it own for a light lunch/dinner.

Comments

Popular Posts