WATERMELON AND BEEF STIR FRY




The children had finished eating their afternoon snack of watermelon and found myself staring at a bowl full of watermelon skins to throw away. My Ghanaian childhood habit of never wasting food was immediately awoken. Had to do something with them than just throwing them away as we usually do. I have read before that you could eat them, so I did not think twice when I found some beef stripes in the fridge and the first idea was a stir fry. I must say, it completely surprised me and it took less than 10 minutes to be ready for my no carb dinner plans. Here is the simple recipe for you to try.

All you need
Melted coconut 3-5 tablespoons
Watermelon skin (make sure to cut off the red sections about a handful of thin sliced skins)
Ginger 20 g sliced
Garlic 2 cloves sliced
Onion 1 small size sliced
Beef strips 300 g
Beef fondue or stock cube
Mixed vegetables ( I used about two handfuls of red/yellow bell peppers and spring onions)
Salt to taste

How to make
Add oil to pan over medium heat.
Add in sliced, watermelon skins, ginger, garlic and onion.
Allow it fry until onions are transparent and soft. The watermelon skins also gets soft but not the outer skin, they will still have a bite to them ;) .
Next, include the meat and stir fry until all stripes are slightly browned.
Add in the fondue/stock cube and vegetables with  about 1 cup of water.
Cover and allow to cook for 7 minutes stirring occasionally.
Check for salt. Done.
Serve with rice or noodles but I happily ate mine with some peanut waffles.
Watermelon and beef stir fry with peanut waffles

Comments

Popular Posts