Beetroot Fufuo



Believe me, you do not want to know all that goes on in my keittiö (means kitchen in Finnish language). Honestly, sometimes I even surprise myself with all these experimenting and recipe testings. But the truth is, I really enjoy it. No matter how tired or sick I may be, cooking is always the remedy. It simply calms my soul, whether the recipes fails or not: I am left feeling happy and at peace.

So, like any other Sunday, I found myself craving for some traditional fufuo but could not make it due to my low carb diet. (Ps. I am only dieting because of lack of exercise to keep my weight under control). I looked into the fridge and found two big beetroots staring back at me (lol). And the rest, is how we; hubby and myself enjoyed this Konkonte-like tasting beetroot fufuo with some spicy light soup.

Easy recipe for you to try and I must mention and stress that, the secret ingredient here is Psyllium husks. It high in fiber and a great binding ingredient. Explore with any root vegetable if you are also on a low-carb diet and you would not be disappointed. Enjoy.


All you need
400 g cooked Beetroot
10 g or 3 tablespoon Psyllium
Salt to taste

How to make it
Peel and boil beetroots with a little salt until cooked.
Drain but save the stock, you might need a few teaspoons to help blend the beetroots.
Blend beetroot with a hand blender or the usual blender until smooth.  You can add some stock to help blend if needed but not too much. You may not need to even add the stock if using the hand blender
Beetroot mixture should be thick and loose but not runny.
Transfer to a bowl and add in tablespoon of  the psyllium until you have a starchy feel to the beetroots. The quantity of the psyllium husks should not exceed 3 tablespoons to 150 g of mashed beetroot.

This recipe was enough for myself and hubby.
Enjoy with Light-soup, Palmnut soup or Groundnut soup.

Comments

Popular Posts